28 – The Field of Victory

← Previous Post.
Next Post. →
↓ Skip to comments.

(All of you are on the arena floor near the citadel (Map Area #11), except for Vash is standing near the concession (Map Area #8). Thrakazog is still holding Lord Sogor’s severed head aloft.)

(There are two mongoliant guards armed with great-axes approaching your group at short range, three guards with power polearms in melee with the chained slaves, and two other guards (Map Areas #4 and #5). The stands are filled with ‘civilian’ mongos, who have broken into hysteria with the death of Sogor.)

(Current party initiative is Vash 12, Cobb 11, Kronic 10, Jumrak 9, and Thrakazog 6. The mongoliant guards act on 13, and the slaves on 4.)

Stadium Map

Screams of terror now fill the crowd, as mongoliants race towards the exits and attempt to flee the arena.

The two great-axe mongoliants stop short, horrified at the slaughter of their mighty Lord. They appear to have lost their nerve – casting worried glances back at their comrades being swarmed by the slaves, to the panicked mongoliants in the crowd, then back to your triumphant group. Deciding to make the best of a bad situation, the duo turns and runs towards the main exit (Map Area #3).

Likewise, the two mongoliants that were guarding the pens decide that it’s currently safer outside the arena and run for the exit.

The trio of mongoliants being swarmed by slaves are unable to wield their polearms effectively; they are forced to using their bare hands to defend themselves. (Attack rolls are 8 + 7 = 15, 5 + 7 = 12, and 9 + 7 = 16. Three hits for 5 damage, 5 damage, and 8 damage.) They wound three of the slaves, but their blows are not enough to stop them!

(I’m going to do the slave actions out-of-order here…)

Meanwhile, the slaves can still use their weapons effectively, and savagely tear at their former oppressors. (Three attacks each against the polearm guards, rolls are 17 + 1 = 18, 1 + 1 = 2, and 8 + 1 = 9; 9 + 1 = 10, 18 + 1 = 19, and 2 + 1 = 3; 14 + 1 = 15, 4 + 1 = 5, and 11 + 1 = 12. Damage is 3 points, 6 points, and 3 points respectively.) The slaves manage to land a few damaging blows, but they’re still outclassed by the mongoliants.

A New Order?

Gaining confidence, Vash rejoins his companions in front of the citadel. “Gentlemen,” Vash says to the others with a smirk. “Before leaving, we should have one of the guards inform us of the layout of this facility, at least before the freed slaves kill them all? Perhaps they would even be willing to surrender to join our… new order?” He looks to Cormac’s dead body. “We should properly honour him.” He glances to the others as he moves to the body to carry it out of the way. (Nice touch; +25 XP.)

Cobb quickly surveys Sogor’s corpse to see any pockets/pouches/etc, grabbing any ammo for the pistol and tossing it to Kronic. He’ll also double-check the belt to see if there was something he didn’t remove along with the battery to cause the unit to cease functioning.

(Cobb performs a Scav Scan on Sogor’s corpse, rolling 14 + 4 = 18. For some reason, the GM also makes an Intellect check for Cobb: 18 + 7 = 25.)

A cord of some sort dangles from Sogor’s belt; it appears to have formerly been attached to the device now in your posession. The cord runs to a mysterious harness that Sogor was wearing beneath his custom-built half plate. Wait a second… Maybe the harness generates the shimmering field that you saw surrounding Sogor – and the beltpack is just a power source? (It will take a few rounds to strip the harness of Sogor’s body.)

Also on Sogor’s belt is a pouch conspicuously made from tanned humanoid flesh. Inside the pouch are three Ancient energy clips of some type (minifusion cells, actually) and a key. (Cobb grabs the pouch and its contents.)

“Well time to settle this, I guess…” Kronic mutters. Badly injured, he does not relish the thought of entering melee so instead he readies his black powder rifle (and readies an action to shoot any mongoliant that threatens to attack).

Seeing his ally gird for further conflict, Jumrak suggests an alternative: “Let’s march in victory towards the other exit (pointing to area 11) and bring some of our new friends (motioning towards the freed slaves) with us.”

“We should probably search this place for provisions before we leave.” suggests Cobb. “I’m also curious as to whether or not that artillery can hit the slaver’s stockade from here…” (50 XP for the artillery idea.)

Unable to see what the heck is happening, Thrakazog continues to stand triumphantly – gripping Sogor’s head with his tail and wielding his polearm heroically. Thrak lacks an audience now, however, as nearly all the mongoliants are heading towards the exits in haste.

From within the Citadel (Map Area #11) you hear hoarse mongoliant yells. The shouts are angry – not panicked. Sounds like there may be more mongoliant soldiers coming… You may not be safe if you remain in the arena.

What are your actions?

Advertisements

~ by K-Slacker on 10-Sep-07.

7 Responses to “28 – The Field of Victory”

  1. Lacking an audience, Thrak lowers the head to the ground. He shoulders the polearm, places the pistol back in his satchel and retrieves the discarded firearm for future use.

    Hearing the angry mob from insie the entrance to the citadel, he suggests that may not be the best path to take, and also thinks that lobbing their former master’s head into the melee could dispel much of the fledgling morale that they may have mustered in the brief time since the giant mongoliant’s death. If Thrak can’t see far enough to ensure he strikes the entrance, he suggests that one of his companions make the toss.

    Then, a hasty retreat out the exit between the animal pens may be the best bet. Gather up as many of the fresh slaves as possible to make the group more threatening, but Thrak disagrees with trying to suborn any of the injured mongos — untrustworthy and best to kill off to keep them out of the way… or make ’em run for their mammas.

    If exit #3 is picked, then the group can also foment some disorder among the animals, open the pens and leave them to cause a distraction among whomever may come after our victorious crew. Once outside, then we can see (carefully!) if that artillery emplacement is assailable.

  2. “I’ll wager those other mongoliants have more good items for sure but I love the idea of hitting those punk slavers with artillery from here… that’ll stir these two factions against each other!” Kronic will also grab the decapacitated remains of the once “great” Sogor and give it a nice toss towards the angry mongoliant shouts mustering in area 11. I will then cover that area with a held action to shoot any mongoliant that comes out, backing away to the artillery area covering my comrades.

  3. Maybe we should try to rally these slaves to clear this place out. Then we can lock up and figure out what we’re going to do next.

  4. Now that I can hear the shouts coming from within the Citadel, I’m less inclined to lead a victory march in that direction. I’m with Thrak on leaving by the animal pens, although we might want to hold up a minute to see if the freed slaves decide to take on whatever comes out from the citadel. It may be good to keep track of where all the spectators go – either to avoid them or try to sneak anonymously through them. That might be tough given our unique appearance and new found fame, however!

  5. Cobb can’t really contain his curiosity and he brandishes the key for the rest of the crew to see. “I found this among Sogor’s things. What sort of things do you suppose a powerful mutant lord would find valuable enough to keep under lock and key?”

    Cobb pauses to let the idea sink in.

    “I don’t know about you guys, but I’m tired of scraping through life. I’ve always wanted to find a big score to live comfortably for awhile. Whaddaya say? We leave, and some other rabble makes off with whatever tribute this Sogor guy commanded. We stay, and we have a chance, maybe a small one, but a chance at least, to find something worthwhile.”

    Cobb smiles, but with that greedy Scav gleam in his eye he resembles a shark more than a scruffy albino.

  6. (Cobb makes an interesting proposition…)

    (I was expecting to write a post tonight detailing your fighting withdrawal from the arena, complete with freed slaves. But you’re welcome to continue onwards if you think you can succeed.)

    (You’ll probably want to free the slaves first, though. It’s the heroic thing to do, and if you do decide to continue your assault, you’ll probably need a fresh source of Player Characters!)

  7. I’d like to make sure all the slaves are freed. After that, I’d like to find some way out of this evil place. I don’t know how much of a chance we have to take command of this operation – although it would be honourable to try and lead these savages into a life of righteousness!

Comments are closed.

 
%d bloggers like this: